Monday, January 19, 2009

A little bit of progress

It's hardly anything impressive, but I did manage a tiny bit of progress this weekend. Sadly, nothing from Stokes, but hopefully this week time shall be found to go forward.

Meanwhile, I managed to paint hair on 3 of the Revell Austrian Pioneers and paint an experimental brown on two axe handles of the same. My trouble with painting is that I'm perfectionistic enough to hate my mistakes, and too unskilled as of yet to not make them. So I get frustrated by my inability to control where the paint ends up to my liking.

I also painted 3 blanket rolls on the long-neglected 10mm ACW figures to use up more of the brown paint I'd put out.

And lastly, I took my Christmas present styrofoam cutter out of the package and tried it out for the first time. It works pretty nicely. It cuts quickly, though at first the fumes were a bit heady, that seemed to clear up after a few moments. Possibly once it got a coating of melted styrofoam that may have cut down on the scent.

3 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

I will be interested to follow the progress of the styrofoam cutter not to mention those interesting pioneers...
Alan

Bluebear Jeff said...

I always use my styrofoam cutter outside . . . the fumes need the open air to dissipate properly.


-- Jeff

Fitz-Badger said...

I hope you're doing the styrofoam cutting outdoors or some place with very good ventilation! You don't want to breathe too much of those fumes!
As for the painting - I try to think about the goal - are the minis for tabletop battles where they are mostly viewed from a couple of feet away or more? In which case they don't need to be painted to the level of minis meant for display, or minis meant for painting competitions. Of course, in the end you only have to please yourself and set your own level of quality.