Saturday, June 16, 2007

Digression - Figure Quality

You know, one of the things that is slightly odd to me, though I suppose with the mold process it makes some sense....in a number of cases, the best of the plastic figures seem to be more finely detailed and carefully molded than the metal ones. In many cases, this is actually a blessing with the metal figures, as you don't have to paint every last little raised button on a tunic. But sometimes, it becomes a little odd in places where different items meet, and aren't clearly defined. Like figuring out where to separate the musket, shoulder, and neck of some marching figures, for instance, so you can paint each part properly.

3 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

The original master sculpts for plastic figures are typically made about 3 times final. These are reduced to the final size using a sort of pantograph machine.
Metal minis are typically sculpted at the final size.

In the end though the level of detail these days mostly comes down to sculpting skill.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Personally I prefer figures with less detail . . . otherwise I feel obligated to paint every little detail . . . even when I know that it won't be seen on the tabletop.


-- Jeff

Snickering Corpses said...

That makes good sense on the master sculpts. And I understand what you're saying on the details, Jeff. I agree as far as no need to have little tiny buttons and so forth.

I think really what I was looking at was things like on the front of my musketeers, it's difficult to figure out where the dividing line between coat, lapels, straps, collars, and waistcoat is. :>