Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sunday's Painting and Cavenderian Ambassador

As promised, we have a series of photos from Sunday's output, as well as pictures of the Blue Moon civilians and the Ambassador figure sent to represent Cavenderia. Captions and photos below, and click on the pictures for a closer view. All paints are acrylics.

First up, we have the six-figure pioneer unit in its present state.The details, such as cross-belts and facings, are yet to be done, but I'm pleased with how they've turned out so far. Colors used are Liquitex Black Colored Gesso for the basecoat, Vallejo Model Color 70815 Basic Skintone for the face and hands, Delta Ceramcoat 02054 Golden Brown for the pants and axe handles, Vallejo Model Color 70960 Violet for the coat, and folkArt 420 Linen for the apron.


Next up, notice the beautifully painted Cavenderian ambassador to the right of the photo. This is a gorgeous figure, and finally pushed me over the edge to hunt down some civilians of my own. To the left (from the viewer's perspective) is my chosen figure for Furst Guntram Blauerwolf, wearing the same basecoat, Violet, and Linen (on pants and neck ruffle) as the figures above. I know it's bad form to not paint the skin first, but I needed to see how the colors looked on him. I still can't decide what color to paint his cuffs and the feathers on his hat. Continuing to the left is my chosen figure for the Furstin. Furst and Furstin and the unpainted civilians on the back row are all Blue Moon castings from the Duel box set. Continuing to the left again, we see an RSM95 Prussian Musketeer testing out the black basecoat with the Violet coat. I used, I think, Delta Ceramcoat 02126 Medium Flesh on him. Not necessarily fond of the medium shade. I may have to paint over it with a lighter one. I love the violet though.


And lastly, you can see a series of basecoated figures, from left to right... a night watchman from the Blue Moon set, a Revell 1/72 WW2 British Infantry officer, a Minden Miniatures SYW Prussian musketeer, an RSM95 SYW Prussian Grenadier, a Spencer Smith metal SYW officer, a Spencer Smith metal SYW grenadier, and a vintage Spencer Smith plastic SYW grenadier (the latter with linen pants painted experimentally). Oh, and on the far left, one of the old white gesso RSMs with a little excess purple painted onto one sleeve to test how it colors over white. I'm strongly considering stripping all my old white gesso-coated RSMs and redoing them in the black, not so much for coloration as because I made the white gesso too gloopy and covered detail on several.

7 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

A good start- I await progress with interest...
best wishes
Alan

Capt Bill said...

Very nice Ambassador!

Prinz Geoffrey said...

Looking good, nice collection of lead.

Fitz-Badger said...

Good start, with a nice assortment of minis!
People may be referring to Engelburger violet some day... lol

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

They look great so far Jonathan! I really like that shade of purple you are using too.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Snickering Corpses said...

I'd certainly have no objection to people speaking of Engleburger Violet. I picked up a violet from folkArt at Wal-Mart a couple of days ago, in order to test whether it's close enough to the Vallejo to use as a substitute when the Vallejo runs out. It's cheaper. ;) If it isn't, then I'll likely still keep it around and use it for the purple coats worn by the line units of Prince Arnold of Ober-Schweinsberg.

littlejohn said...

Love the violet color...I want to do a unit of light troops someday with that color.